The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
Our Linux infrastructure is enabling scientists to perform ground-breaking scientific experiments. Do you want to be a part of a highly skilled and motivated team and enhance and re-shape the current Linux infrastructure? Then join us!
For our infrastructure and data acquisition team we are looking for a reliable
You will work in an interdisciplinary, multinational research environment and intensively interact with your team members as well as the users of your infrastructure. Part of your responsibilities will be:
- Participate in and build up a cross organizational Linux Engineering team
- Development and operation of the central Linux installation, software distribution and monitoring infrastructure
- Definition, packaging, test and support of the fundamental software stack required to operate PSI large scale research facilities
- Deployment and support of the Remote Access solution for Linux systems required by our scientists to perform experiments
- Perform 2nd level support for the Linux infrastructure
- Manage an up-to-date documentation and transfer knowledge to the 1st level support
- MSc degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux administration and architecture
- Experience in system engineering as well as building up and maintaining rock solid and high performance IT infrastructure
- Multiple years of experience in the automated management of heterogeneous systems via e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Strong scripting skills in Bash and Python
- Experience in handling VMs with VMware/Vcenter
- Good written and spoken English
- Very high degree of independence
- Keen to investigate new technologies and solutions
The following criteria are an advantage
- Experience in network programming and in managing enterprise class Intel servers
- In-depth experience with containers / Docker and with monitoring and profiling
- Good skills in configuring NFS/SMB (Netapp)
- Good written and spoken German
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Simon Ebner, phone +41 56 310 55 15.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Linux Engineer (index no. 8212-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Patrizia Meister, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland