The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Catalytic Process Engineering Group in the Bioenergy and Catalysis Laboratory we are looking for a
- Optimize reaction conditions and develop analytical strategies to monitor the progress of biomass desulfurisation reactions under hydrothermal conditions
- Preparation, characterisation and testing of various catalysts under supercritical water conditions
- Integration of the concept developed in this project into an existing test rig (lab-scale)
- Development of analytical procedure (FT-IR/Raman) for in situ monitoring of reaction intermediates
- Publish results in leading scientific journals and present at international conferences, and write a PhD thesis on the topic
- Collaborate with the project partner at Hiroshima University, Japan, including scientific visit(s) for a total of 6 months
- Support teaching activities at EPFL and / or FHNW Windisch
- University Master degree in Chemistry or chemical engineering
- Good knowledge of English
- Good knowledge in analytics (spectroscopy)
- Good knowledge in organic chemistry
- Rigorous, autonomous and curious
- Knowledge on material chemistry, catalysis and biomass
- Good level in German is a plus
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr David Baudouin, phone +41 56 310 56 94.
Please submit your application online (including addresses of referees) by 30 November 2019 for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5101-06).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, www.psi.ch