The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Low Level Tools und Controls Core Group we are looking for an
- Development, test and implementation of Timing and Event, BSDAQ and/or other Control System software for the SLS 2.0 Project. This includes development and maintenance of device and EPICS drivers, EPICS DB, Client software, interfaces, tools, GUIs and similar
- Development and Integration of Timing and Event system on various platforms, such as IFC1210 (PowerPC), Compact PCI Serial (x86) and Zynq Ultrascale SOC/SOM (ARM), etc.
- Support for the development of event/beam-synchronous transfer of data from various sources (DAQ/BSDAQ system)
- Creation and maintenance of software and other documentation
- Higher degree in Informatics, Computing, Software Engineering, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or in a similar domain
- Excellent knowledge of C and C++, Device Driver and Kernel-level development, development for soft and hard real-time systems and develpoment for resource-constrained systems
- Experience with development for embedded platforms, various operating systems (Linux, VxWorks, Windows,…) and CPUs (Intel family, ARM Family, PowerPC family, etc.)
- Experience with development of drivers and tools that communicate directly with hardware
- Experience with cross-platform development and build tools on Linux/Unix
- Fluent in English language
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of large research facilities and especially particle accelerators and related control systems, such as EPICS, is a plus
- Knowledge and experience in development for real-time (for example, PREEMPT-RT or Xenomai) extendend Linux kernels is a plus
- Knowledge of FPGA and FPGA/related development is a plus
- Experience with Linux Kernel and file system builds, creation, administration and maintenance of Linux systems is a plus
- Experience with low level Windows development (kernel device drivers and similar low level software) is a plus
- Experience with development for other operating systems, such as VxWorks, FreeRTOS or WinRT is a plus
- Knowledge of FPGA and FPGA-related development and systems is a plus
- Knowledge of German language is a plus
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will (initially) be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dragutin Maier-Manojlovic, phone +41 56 310 40 23.
Please submit your application online for the position as an Embedded Software Engineer (index no. 8211.01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland