The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
With the upgrade of Swiss Light Source (SLS 2.0) and the continuation of beamline construction at Swiss Free Electron Laser (SwissFEL), PSI is facing new challenges concerning control systems, data management and processing. The number of sensors in the overall system will increase by two orders of magnitude. In addition, the quantity of data generated by the detectors at the experiment stations will increase substantially. This will create extreme demands on data acquisition, storage and processing. For this reason, the Development and Consulting Group within the Science IT Section is looking for a
- Management of a rolling forecast process to define requirements concerning data management and processing along a complex process chain (signal processing and date preprocessing in detector, data readout from detector, real-time data visualization, data reduction, online and offline data analysis, data archiving)
- Development and assessment of services and architectures for control systems, data management and processing as well as network based developments on technical and economic requirements
- Timely and on-budget delivery of finished projects to scientific customers
- Linking PSI controls, data management and processing activities with similar international projects
- Design, implementation and operations of control systems (EPICS, SCADA, etc.) and of network architecture in collaboration with the PSI network team
- Design of storage / file systems for control systems (GPFS, NFS, AFS)
- University degree in informatics, electronics, physics or in a similar domain
- Experience in a data-rich research environment as well as knowledge and practical experience with data management, processing and controls for large scale research facilities (synchrotron, XFEL, etc.)
- Excellent methodological and practical skills in design, evaluation and implementation of complex Control and IT service and infrastructure architectures
- Capability to coordinate subject-matter experts from different areas (Controls, Science IT, Beamline Scientists, Network Specialists, IT Security, etc.)
- Experience and record of accomplishment in management of complex projects and with HPC-related systems and high-performance storage
- Expert knowledge concerning Linux system architectures and operations
- Good knowledge of state-of-the art network technology in terms of suitable architectures, attainable performance and IT security aspects
- Best practice Know-how with at least one of the standard frameworks for IT architectures would be ideal
- Willingness and ability to support system operations, preparedness to travel
- Fluent in English, German would be a plus
- Team player with excellent communication skills
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will (initially) be limited until the end of 2025.
For further information please contact Dr Alun Ashton, phone +41 56 310 44 81.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Coordinator for IT and Controls Architecture (index no. 9551-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland