The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Science IT Section we are looking for a
- Main responsible for the synchrotron near-time experimental IT infrastructure
- Engage in active communication with experimental scientists to assess ideal solutions to their needs
- Participate in IT infrastructure design (compute, storage, network) together with a team of experts in different fields
- Support in design and implement high throughput solutions (compute, storage, network)
- Deputize responsible for other scientific IT infrastructures
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support for user community (mainly scientists)
- Support IT management in decision making (reports, ...)
- Very strong experience in Linux administration (e.g. non-trivial bash scripts, file permissions, ...)
Extensive experience in at least two of these topics:
- Operations, configuration and management of parallel file systems
- Operations, configuration and management of resource scheduling tools (batch systems like Slurm, ...)
- Deployment automation with state-of-the-art tools (Ansible, Puppet, ...)
- Performance monitoring, alarming of large computational clusters
- High speed network fabrics, Infiniband, 40/100G ethernet, TCP/IP...
The following criteria are an advantage:
- Experience in operating IT infrastructure in a scientific environment
- Basic experience on system programming with some script language; preferably Python
- Experience in planning and procurement of computational clusters
- Knowledge of German or willingness to learn it
- Teamplayer with strong communication skills, who is willing to share and expand his knowledge
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Leonardo Sala, phone +41 56 310 33 69.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Systems Engineer / DevOps (index no. 9552-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland.