The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Research with Neutrons and Muons Division we are looking for a
To explore quantum and topological effects in the mesoscale in quantum materials via microscopy, magnetic, electrical, and xray measurements. The main experimental tasks will involve:
- Growth of thin films and patterning using facilities at the Laboratory for Micro and Nanotechnology
- Electrical/thermal transport measurements using cryostats including a dilution fridge
- X-Ray scattering and angle resolved photoelectron spectroscopy experiments at international large-scale facilities including Paul Scherrer Institute
- Commission a dilution fridge
- Commission a sputterer
- PhD in experimental condensed matter physics with firm knowledge of quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and magnetism
- Expertise in electrical measurements at low temperature and high magnetic fields including independent operation of a dilution fridge
- Expertise in film growth and X-Ray scattering
- Experience in microfabrication, scanning probe microscopy, and angle resolved photoemission is helpful
- Ability to keep good records of work, analyze, interpret data and publish high quality work
- Ability to write software for data acquisition and analysis
- Ability to collaborate with other scientists
- Ability to work long hours and during weekends when conducting experiments at large scale facilities
- Good communication skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your initial employment contract is limited to two years but can be extended up to four years upon mutual agreement.
For further information please contact Ms. Yona Soh by phone +41 56 310 32 81.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications, a two page statement of research interests, and addresses of 3 referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3000-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland