Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, is an internationally networked aquatic research institute within the ETH Domain (Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology). Eawag conducts research, education and expert consulting to achieve the dual goals of meeting direct human needs for water and maintaining the function and integrity of aquatic ecosystems.
Sandec, the Department of Sanitation, Water and Solid Waste for Development seeks a motivated and qualified person for an
Internship on Larvae for Waste Management (6 months position)
The innovation of “Black Soldier Fly (BSF) waste processing” has gained a lot of traction as an exciting option for organic waste treatment. Eawag is one of the leaders in this field of research. The BSF process still requires a high degree of innovation regarding; a) monitoring and control of fly rearing; b) climate control with efficient energy use during waste treatment by BSF larvae.
We are looking for an intern who will support the project team to push forward on either topics mentioned below:
- evaluate, design, prototype and validate a sensor for counting and controlling fly migration from pupation to mating cages
- measure and model heat and gaseous emission during waste treatment by BSF larvae and to design and prototype a sensor equipped climate chamber for further validation
- Plan and conduct tasks as outlined above to achieve timely research results
- Coordinate and communicate with project research team
Candidates for this position should have the following qualifications:
- Enrolled as student in a master’s program for the entire duration of the internship (this is a prerequisite, other applications will not be considered)
- Background in Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Skills and motivation for design and implementation of mechanical and electronic solutions
- Experience with use and coding Raspberry Pi 4
- Excellent organization, communication and synthesis skills
- Good knowledge of English language (spoken and written)
a modern employer and offers an excellent working environment where staff can contribute their strengths, experience and ways of thinking. We promote gender equality and are committed to staff diversity and inclusion. The compatibility of career and family is of central importance to us. For more information about Eawag and our work conditions please consult www.eawag.ch
Internship duration and reimbursement:
Duration: six months, the position is available starting earliest August but starting date of September is also acceptable. Eawag will provide an intern salary.
Place of work
The intern will be located at Eawag in Dübendorf, Switzerland.
Stefan Diener (project officer) and Christian Zurbrügg (project leader).
Applications must be submitted by 31 July 2021.
For further information
about the internship, please contact Stefan Diener
. More information about Sandec is available at www.sandec.ch
We look forward to receiving your application (a cover/motivation letter and CV) through the Eawag webpage, any other way of applying will not be considered. Please click on the button below, this will take you directly to the application form.