Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, is an internationally networked aquatic research institute within the ETH Domain (Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology). Eawag conducts research, education and expert consulting to achieve the dual goals of meeting direct human needs for water and maintaining the function and integrity of aquatic ecosystems.
The Department of Systems Analysis, Integrated Assessment and Modelling (Siam) opens a new position for a
The objective of the position
is to develop an independent research line in data science applied to prediction and knowledge discovery of hydrological, ecological, engineering, and social systems relevant for water research and management. The research group associated with the position is expected to be built with external and internal research grants.The group will be
located at Eawag in Dübendorf in a stimulating interdisciplinary environment with modelers and experimentally oriented scientists in water research. In our department, Siam
, we offer the potential for interaction with researchers in statistical inference, computation and mathematical modelling of hydrological and ecological systems and strong links to other departments. These departments offer interesting data sets and knowledge from various fields of water research. In addition, the new group leader can build on and extend our existing collaborations with the Swiss Data Science Center
at the technical universities ETH Zurich
Lausanne, the Swiss National Supercomputing Center
in Lugano and many international partners.
We are looking for a candidate with
The application must include
- a PhD degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a similar discipline
- postdoctoral experience in data science, in particular regarding machine learning techniques
- strong knowledge in mathematics, numerical techniques, and programming
- high interest in applying these techniques to explore environmental, technical and social systems relevant to water research and management in collaboration with scientists from these fields
- communication and social interaction skills to stimulate interdisciplinary collaboration
- a brief letter of application that includes the motivation of the applicant for this position and a description of his or her experience in relevant fields of data science
- a research statement including foreseen future research plans
- a curriculum vitae including the list of publications
- academic transcripts/records
- names and contact information for at least two academic references
For further information please contact
Prof. Dr Peter Reichert
, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
a stimulating research and working environment
with strong collaboration between modelers and experimental and observational scientists. Eawag is committed to promoting equal opportunities for women and men and to support the compatibility of family and work. Applications from women are especially welcome. For more information about Eawag and our working conditions please consult www.eawag.ch
. The closing date for applications is 17 September 2018
.We look forward to receive your application.
Please send it through this webpage; any other way of applying will not be considered. A click on the button below will take you directly to the application form.