Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The Laboratory for Thin Films and Photovoltaics is known for its innovative research in the field of thin-film photovoltaic technologies. The Laboratory holds several world records for power conversion efficiency of flexible CIGS and all-perovskite tandem solar cells. We are looking for a motivated PhD student to push research frontiers on halide perovskite semiconductors for large-area optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells and photodetectors. For perovskite deposition, we will mainly focus on scalable methods such as sequential PVD/Slot-die coating.
- Develop a high-throughput materials synthesis platform based on sequential fabrication process for screening and optimization of perovskite compositions
- Develop high-throughput characterization protocols and in-situ/in-operando optical characterizations to analyze the film and device performance and stability.
- Manufacture and characterize devices such as solar cells and photodetector arrays
- Responsibility about given fabrication and characterization equipment
- Co-supervision of undergraduate students
- Master degree in Material science, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or related fields
- Willingness to conduct independent, interdisciplinary research in the field of perovskite semiconductors
- Experience in thin-film deposition, optical characterization methods, advanced data analysis is advantageous
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment towards a common goal
- Proficient English is required and knowledge of German is of advantage
The starting date is Spring 2024 or upon mutual agreement. The work will be carried out at Empa in Dübendorf and should eventually lead to a PhD degree from ETH Zürich or EPF Lausanne.
We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities - that's what counts.
Bereichspersonalleiterin / HR Partner