Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The project aims to develop novel surgical patches for "Swiss-Cheese" VSD (Ventricular Septal Defect) closure. Two PhD students will closely collaborate to work on Polymeric Biomaterial (this position) and Bioengineering aspects of such patches, respectively.
- Polymer synthesis, functionalization and characterization
- Development of polymer patches with various techniques, such as polymer molding, fiber spinning, and 3D printing, etc.
- Investigation of patch structure-mechanic relationship
- Disseminating the research through scientific publications, conference posters and presentations, as well as other avenues for the general public
- Communicate with clinical experts
- Master's degree and strong background in organic chemistry or polymer science
- Highly motivated and good communication skills for working in a multidisciplinary environment
- Proficient in spoken and written English for scientific publications and national/international conference presentations.
- Previous experience in one or more of the following topics is required: polymer synthesis and characterization, hydrogels for bioengineering, electrospinning, and microfluidics
We offer an international, highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure for personal and professional development. You will be working at Empa St. Gallen, in a joint research group of the Laboratory for Biomimetic Membranes and Textiles and the Laboratory for Biointerfaces, focusing on the development of functional soft materials for tissue engineering and regeneration applications with close collaboration with clinical partners and two major Switzerland-based research consortiums, namely SKINTEGRITY.CH and Zürich Heart. You will be enrolled at ETH Zürich (with Prof. Dr. René Rossi). This full time position is immediately available upon agreement, with a planned period of 4 years.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities - that's what counts.
Bereichspersonalleiterin / HR Partner