Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The research activities from the Intelligent Manufacturing Group
are divided into two aspects: First, it is to gain a fundamental understanding of dynamical processes, e.g. laser processing, tribology, fracture mechanics and predictive maintenance. Second, we focus on development of new in situ and real-time monitoring/control systems to ensure process stability and quality of the investigated processes. Our unique selling point (USP) is the transdisciplinary team members. Currently the group consists of 6 team members, mainly on post-doc and Scientist level. On the mid-term, due to the high industrial relevance of the topic, the targeted team size is around 10 people.
- Heading a group of researchers and technicians
- Acting as Empa representative towards academic and industry partners
- Guiding and educating talents (teaching experience or willingness to teach)
- Connecting with other Empa units, with national and international research teams and with industrial partners
- Successfully acquire external funding and support the laboratory mission
- Driving forward "Digital Twin" Concepts in Manufacturing
- Master or PhD Degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or a related field
- Several years experience in leading scientific project teams, financial responsibility and project acquisitions
- Deep understanding of Manufacturing processes and process monitoring
- Affinity to optimization, numerical simulations, data handling and machine learning algorithms
- Knowledge of laser-based Material processing is a plus
- Good understanding of physics – thermodynamics, mechanics, optics and acoustics
- Openness for new directions and ability to bring new ideas into the group
- Knowledge of English and German spoken and written, French would be an advantage
- Excellent scientific track record
- Industrial experience is a plus
We offer a challenging position at a research institution with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The position is available upon agreement. Depending on the successful candidate's profile and experience, the position will be either permanent or limited to 2 years (with potential to be tenured afterwards). Contract extension evaluation will be performance based. The work will be carried out at Empa Thun, near Bern.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities - that's what counts.
Bereichspersonalleiterin / HR Partner