Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
Project description "Hybrid-Steel-FRP-Bogies for Freight Wagons"
Bogies are multifunctional components in a rail vehicle, with several responsibilities: Transferring the vertical loads from the car body to the wheelset, providing damping and suspension characteristics, controlling the wheelset alignment, controlling the steering behavior of the vehicle, etc., based on the vehicle type and category and considering the attached components, bogies compromise a weight portion of 30% to 40% of the whole rail vehicle. Such a high weight ratio makes the bogies an ideal target for weight reduction by optimizing the design, improving the manufacturing methods, or changing the material. A conceptual design of FRP/metal hybrid bogie has already been developed in the project's feasibility study. Detailed design and analysis steps and performing experiments are the focused tasks in the current phase to ensure the functionality of the bogie. Further, bogie's concepts will be assessed based on compliance with the regulations regarding running characteristics, structural performance, and especially overall costs.
You will create detailed designs of the mechanical components of the new freight bogie, following the technical specifications regarding joints and interfaces, braking components, steering components, and axle box bearings. You will select the right components for the bogie assembly, including fasteners, bushings, and rubber parts. Others tasks are:
- Finite element (FE) modeling of the structural behavior of the bogie,
- FE analysis of adhesively bonded/ mechanically bolted joints between FRP and metal parts,
- Providing detailed CAD models for the individual components and assembly, and
- Providing cost estimations for manufacturing/purchasing of the design parts.
- Completed MSc engineering or doctoral degree in Mechanical or Structural or closely related fields.
- A good background and knowledge of the design of mechanical components.
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English is mandatory. Knowledge of German would be an advantage.
- A demonstrated capacity to work in a collegiate/friendly manner with other staff.
We offer you a challenging and varied area of responsibility in a dynamic, nationally and inter-nationally oriented research environment with a very well-equipped infrastructure. The position is initially limited to 2 years with the option for an extension of further 3 years with very good performance.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities. That's what counts - not age, gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
Stv. Leiterin Personal / Dep. Head Human Resources