Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The Horizon Europe Project KADI (https://www.kadi-project.eu) provides knowledge and climate services for an African observation and Data research Infrastructure. KADI is run by a consortium of partners from Africa and Europe. The project goals are (i) to improve the knowledge base on climate change in Africa, (ii) to identify societal demands and expectations, and (iii) to design research capacities for climate change observations and paving the way for their implementation. Empa's Laboratory for Air Pollution / Environmental Technology has long-lasting experience with air quality monitoring and data analysis in developing countries, including Africa. Building on this expertise, we contribute to KADI through the the analysis and interpretation of atmospheric composition time series. Therefore, we are looking for a highly motivated postdoc or scientist.
- Analysis of long-term time series of atmospheric composition data from the Mount Kenya monitoring station
- Collaboration with colleagues from the Kenya Meteorological Department
- Interaction with different partners of the KADI consortium
- Active role in completing project milestones and preparing project deliverables
- PhD degree in atmospheric sciences, physics, environmental sciences or a related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills and intercultural experience
- Fluency in English is required; basic knowledge of German is desirable
- Experience in working in Africa will be a plus
The position is based on a 6-month contract. Extensions and collaborations with other projects are possible, depending on the qualifications. The successful candidate will benefit from an inspiring international environment and will closely collaborate with colleagues in Kenya. We offer a highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure and a broad interdisciplinary surrounding. Working place will be Empa in Dübendorf, close to Zurich..
The position is available in fall 2023 and will remain open until filled.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities. That's what counts - not age, gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc.