Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
Empa's Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics is involved in the scientific research, development and characterization of advanced ceramics and composites for structural and, increasingly, functional applications.
You will optimize, up-scale and characterize an advanced material system to obtain the treatability data required to design reliable drinking water filtration products. The goal is to design and specify the complete material/product fabrication process chain to deliver a product with the technological readi-ness level needed to move to the product certification and market introduction phase upon project end. Water filtration performance relying particularly on material characteristics, their effect on viral and bacterial removal performance will have to be tested meticulously and material specifications defined accordingly.
- Perform systematic material synthesis parameter studies (e.g. experimental plans) to evaluate their effect on viral/bacterial removal performance from test waters
- Up-scale the fabrication processes, develop and produce filtration product prototypes for field tests and treatability data acquisition
- Identify and specify critical material/product design characteristics which have to be monitored to meet reliability, performance and safety requirements
- Ensure that all regulatory and market specific boundary conditions (costs, reliability, safety, traceability, …) are respected
- Identify and develop a professional network of potential first technology adopters
- Publish in peer-reviewed high-impact factor journals and present at international conferences
- MSc or higher in Materials science, Water science or related disciplines
- Track record in water filtration testing (viral, bacterial)
- Demonstrated aptitude for highly target oriented non-conventional thinking
- Full proficiency in written and oral English
- Self-motivated, critical-thinking, open-minded and communicative
- Good market analysis capability and business acumen
We offer an 18 months Innosuisse funded position at Empa to conduct cutting-edge research and product development for the wellbeing of society. Applications are open immediately and the starting date is July 2023 or upon mutual agreement.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities. That's what counts - not age, gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
Bereichspersonalleiterin / HR Partner