Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
Our Center for X-ray Analytics
develops X-ray analytical and imaging methods for understanding materials structure in material, life- and medical services and is offering a PhD position.
The PhD research will be on developing novel X-ray dark-field imaging methods (speckle-based, single grid) for the evaluation and classification of urinary stones. Animal and human stone cohorts and phantoms will be used for optimizing the imaging technique and to prove the concept. The goal is to develop the technique further towards potential clinical use. The project is interdisciplinary and will require working in close cooperation with clinical and veterinary experts.
- Further development and optimization of speckle-based and single-grid X-ray dark-field imaging on different types of lab sources
- Develop the corresponding image analysis and signal extraction procedures
- Establish data base on different classes of animal and human stones and phantoms
- Validation against state-of-the-art clinical methods
- Conceptual evaluation of technology adaptation needs for clinical application, recommendations for clinical imaging protocols
If you would like to make a major impact on personalized medicine and revolutionize digital pathology, you are highly motivated, communicative and passionate working in an interdisciplinary field and fulfill the following criteria:
- Completed Master`s degree in biomedical engineering, physics or similar
- Have strong hands-on lab skills
- Have some experience with X-ray methods and/or imaging
- Have preferably some additional experience in the biomedical domain and/or in image processing
- Fluent in English, German is beneficial
Are you a highly self-motivated team player ready to work independently? We offer an international, highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surroundings with plenty of possibilities for personal and professional development. The project duration is three years with the potential extension by one more year. The candidate will perform his/her research at Empa in Dübendorf. Desired starting date is as soon as reasonably possible or upon mutual agreement.
(a) stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities. That's what counts - not age, gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc....
Stv. Leiterin Personal / Dep. Head Human Resources