Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Thin Films and Photovoltaics is well known for its innovative research in the field of inorganic and organic-inorganic hybrid thin-film photovoltaic and battery technologies. The Laboratory holds the world record power conversion efficiency of flexible CIGS and all-perovskite tandem solar cells. We are offering a
Postdoc Position on Slot-die coated All-Perovskite Tandem Solar Cells and Mini-module on Flexible Substrate
We are looking for a highly motivated postdoc with a strong experimental background in materials and chemistry to develop high-efficiency flexible all-perovskite tandem solar cells and mini-modules using slot-die coating. You will be embedded in a collaborative Horizon Europe research project. This will enable you to interact and collaborate with leading Euro-pean academic and industrial partners.
Your responsibilities include:
- Developing perovskite ink formulations suitable for slot-die coating of wide bandgap (~1.8 eV) and narrow bandgap (~1.2 eV) perovskite absorbers with excellent optoelec-tronic quality and uniformity over large area
- Developing slot-die coated passivation strategies tailored for wide bandgap (~1.8 eV) and narrow bandgap (~1.2 eV) perovskite absorbers Ink rheology characterizations
- Understanding the loss mechanisms in layers, solar cells, mini-modules and developing mitigation strategies
- Optimizing laser scribing processes for single-junction and tandem mini-modules on flexible substrates
- Optimizing the performance of slot-die coated single-junction and all-perovskite tandem mini-modules on flexible substrates
- Establishing and maintain good collaboration with other project partners
- Dissemination of your results on group meetings, project reports, peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- Co-supervision of PhD student and master student and assisting supervisor in proposal writing
You have a Ph.D. degree in materials science, chemistry, or a related field with strong hands-on experience in semiconductor thin-film device processing and characterizations. In-depth experience in blade coating or slot-die coating of thin-film optoelectronics is mandatory. Strong expertise in ink formulation and characterizations is required. Previous experience on blade coated or slot-die coated perovskite solar cells and mini-modules is advantageous. The experimental nature of the work requires a very high level of experimental skills, independence to design and execute experiments/ characterizations and an analytical mindset for interpreting measured data. You are a team player and have excellent communication skills. Your strengths include taking personal responsibility, high motivation for innovation, excellence and flexibility to work and deliver good results. You have excellent verbal and written skills in English.
We offer an international, highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surroundings with plenty of possibilities for personal and professional development. You will work on important and promising solutions to the global energy problem in an international environment.
You will be working at Empa Dübendorf, near Zurich, and the starting date is May 2023 or upon mutual agreement. The initial contract is 1 year with the possibility to extend it up to 3 years.