Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Advanced Analytical Technologies has an opening for a
Postdoc in Ultrafast X-ray Optics
The laboratory is looking for a postdoctoral candidate to carry out research in the field of chirped pulse amplification laser development and implementation for X-ray spectroscopy. You will be involved in the research with a tabletop alternative to beamlines called Empulse. You will also supervise PhD students in the fields of laser spectroscopy, X-ray optics and optical design of experimental setups. We offer a motivating supervision to work with an excellent infrastructure in broad interdisciplinary surrounding. You will gain a large and diversified expertise and the lab will encourage your scientific career with application to grants and submission of papers.
- Development of optical solutions for our laboratory setups to enable the realization of experiments at high pulse energy and/or ultrafast pulses.
- Insight from experimental data from the pulse diagnostics.
- Exploration of innovative experimental schemes for compact ultrafast X-ray sources.
- Application to chemical and spectroscopic methods.
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences.
- PhD thesis in ultrafast optics or a proven lab experience.
- Experience in wave optics, Fourier analysis, Non-linear and ultrafast, lasers, X-rays.
- Experience in data methods and basic statistics.
- Desirable skills in programming and engineering of components.
- Fluency in English and strong writing skills.
The two-year position is available immediately until filled, and can be extended upon excellent outcomes.