Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Advanced Analytical Technologies has an opening for a
Postdoc position in Advanced Laser Optics
The laboratory is looking for a highly creative postdoctoral candidate to carry out research in the field of laser development and implementation within an EU/SBFI granted project. You will be involved in the development of a plasma laser in the X-ray to be utilized as a tabletop alternative to beamlines. You will also supervise PhD students in the fields of laser microanalysis, extreme ultraviolet optics and advanced spectroscopy. We offer a highly stimulating research topic with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. You will gain a large and diversified expertise and the lab will encourage your scientific career with application to ERC grants or equivalent step up's.
- Development of optical solutions for our laboratory systems, to enable the realization of experiments at high pulse energy and/or fluency.
- Collection of experimental data on the performance of the spectroscopic methods.
- Data analysis and simulation with available codes.
- Exploration of innovative schemes and implementation in the lab.
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences.
- PhD in optics or a related discipline.
- Solid background in optics (also non-linear), laser spectroscopy-, and electronics.
- Interest in chemical and analytical methods.
- Experience in experimental research and lab campaigns and strong publication record.
- Mandatory skills in programming for lab application (e.g. Arduino, R, Python, LabView etc).
- Fluency in English is required; oral expression skills in German are desirable.
The position is available immediately until filled, and can be extended upon excellent outcomes.