Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Advanced Analytical Technologies has an opening for a
PhD position in Extreme Ultraviolet Laser for Spectroscopy
The laboratory is looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate to carry out research in the field of plasma-laser spectroscopy within an SNF project. You will utilize a compact laser in the XUV to operate as a tabletop alternative to synchrotron and advance our expertise in spectroscopy. We offer a worldwide unique research topic with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The PhD-student will be registered at University of Zurich.
- Development of a XUV laser spectroscopy instrumentation.
- Collection of experimental data on the application in spectroscopy.
- Exploration of alternative schemes and implementation in the lab.
- Utilization of codes to perform calculations for experimental design and analysis.
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences.
- MSc in physics, chemistry or engineering
- Solid background in atomic physics, spectroscopy and optics
- Knowledge in chemical and analytical methods, e.g. mass spectrometry, Raman and X-ray ab-sorption
- Experience in experimental research and lab campaigns as well as writing publications is ad-vantageous
- Fluency in English is required; oral expression skills in German are a plus