Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Transport at Nanoscale Interfaces Laboratory (www.empa.ch/tnilab) pioneers the heterogeneous integration of novel nanomaterials in devices by mastering tailored fabrication methods for functional nanostructured interfaces. We develop fundamental understanding in the electronic, opto-electronic, thermal and ionic transport properties of low-dimensional materials & devices and transfer our knowledge to applications for quantum technology, energy conversion, and biochemical sensing.
To strengthen our interdisciplinary team, we look for a
Engineer in Nanofabrication & Device Materials Analytics
- Develop, implement and optimize processing workflows for the integration of nanoscale materials in complex architectures, in particular for quantum technology applications.
- Perform materials characterization of grown/deposited materials, and failure analysis of devices.
- Provide training and support related to layout & device design (GDS), fabrication and back end of line steps and maintain a record of internally developed processes.
- Maintain state-of-the-art expertise and explore new/emerging processing technologies; assist in the planning of new infrastructure.
- Actively collaborate with other Empa units, with industrial partners and with national and international research teams.
- Contribute to the communication of your results at conferences and in scientific journals.
- Bachelor degree in engineering or sciences; Master degree preferrable.
- At least 3 years experience in micro- and nano-fabrication process development & implementation with usage of clean-room based techniques in an academic or industrial environment.
- Self-motivated, meticulous, ability to innovate and a passion for clean-room fabrication and analytical work.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to work with time constraints and meet deadlines, a high sense of responsibility and commitment.
- Working proficiency in German & English.
a challenging position with varied tasks at a research institution with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The position is initially limited for three years. A possible extension or adaption to an unlimited contract will be discussed during the third year. The work will be carried out at Empa in Dübendorf and at nanofabrication facilities: Binnig and Rohrer Nanotechnology Center (http://brnc.ethz.ch
) and ETHZ Center for Micro- and Nanoscience (http://first.ethz.ch