Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Air Pollution / Environmental Technology has an opening for a
PhD position in Balloon-borne MIR laser spectroscopy for water vapor isotopes in the upper atmosphere
The Laser Spectroscopy group is looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate to work in the field of laser based sensor development within an SNF granted project. You will develop a lightweight laser spectrometer to be flown on balloons and perform in-situ water vapor isotope measurements in the upper atmosphere and leverage on our expertise in quantum cascade laser driving, circular multipass cell design, and FPGA-based DAQ systems. We offer a highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The PhD-student will be registered at ETH Zurich, in the Department of Environmental Systems Science.
Job description, responsibilities and tasks
- Development of a mid-IR laser spectrometer for balloon platforms
- Validation, calibration, and intercomparison of the instrument in collaboration with METAS
- Coordination and realization of field campaigns
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- MSc in physics or a related discipline
- Solid background in optics, laser spectroscopy, and electronics
- Interest in atmospheric sciences and isotopes
- Experience in experimental research and field campaigns
- Excellent software skills (Python, LabView, 3D CAD, Matlab, FRED)
- Fluency in English is required; oral expression skills in German are desirable
The position is available from December 2022 and will remain open until filled.