Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
To strengthen our activities in the department 'Materials meet Life' we are looking for a
Junior Group Leader in X-ray based analytical research (SAXS focussed) related to biomedical applications
This Junior research position will focus on analytical sciences based on a strong exchange with different laboratories of Empa's department 'Materials meet Life': the Center for X-ray Analytics and the Laboratories 'Biomimetic Textiles and Membranes' and 'Biointerfaces'. We will establish an analytical platform for investigating interface phenomena for nano-materials in a biological environment, with focus on small angle scattering and (SAXS) diffraction (WAXS) combined with imaging techniques.
The leadership of a junior research group will enable you to realize and to extend your own research project in the biomedical domain. In this position, you have the possibility to develop an international scientific profile and to obtain a permanent position after successful evaluations after 2 and 4 years.
The Center for X-ray Analytics has a unique expertise and infrastructure in one laboratory combining X-ray diffraction (XRD), scattering (SAXS) and 3D imaging (XCT, XPCI) on vari-ous lengths scales. Our core activities in the development of X-ray based methods relate to soft matter such as polymers and complex biological systems with applications in the medical domain. We focus on studies under various non-ambient environmental condi-tions (4D) elucidating structure dynamics (www.empa.ch/web/s499
You will collaborate closely with the laboratories 'Biomimetic Textiles and Membranes' (www.empa.ch/web/s401
) and 'Biointerfaces' (www.empa.ch/web/s404
) within the highly interdisciplinary department 'Materials meet Life', this provides you an ideal platform to develop your ideas further and to build your own research team.
- Building and extending your own research profile
- Growing and leading of the research activity
- R&D in the domain of X-ray analytics, with a focus on small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS), non-ambient environmental studies, data analysis, modelling and simulations as well as biomedical challenges
- Writing project proposals and acquisition of external funding
- Planning and leading scientific projects as well as an ongoing development of methods and equipment
- Presentation of scientific results through publications and on conferences
- Active engaging with scientific collaborators and industrial partners
- PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, materials science or physics
- deep knowledge in X-ray diffraction and scattering methods with a clear focus on SAXS
- scientific excellence and being an independent researcher
- creative, curious, thinking “out of the box” and interdisciplinary
- proactive and convincing
- successful in project acquisition (SNF, Innosuisse or similar)
- experienced in project management and writing scientific publication
- fluent in English and German and enjoying a multicultural environment
We offer a challenging executive position at a research institution with excellent infra-structure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The work will be carried out at Empa St. Gallen. Starting date: 1st of November 2022 or by agreement.