Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Empa Laboratory of Cellulose & Wood Materials invites applications for an industrial/applied postdoctoral fellowship position on cellulose-based materials for food packaging.
Postdoc position on cellulose-based food packaging materials
Together with our team of experienced scientists and industry partners, you will develop the next generation of sustainable cellulose-based food packaging materials. This project bridges our activities in the fields of cellulose-based materials and composites, nanocellulose production techniques, and practical application testing. Combining fundamental and applied science, the goal is to develop functional and practical food-packaging solutions, which may be implemented as commercial products. We envision that along with the potential development of a commercial product, the generated knowledge will lead to new sustainable materials with applications throughout the speciality coatings and packaging sectors.
- Advance the field of sustainable food packaging materials with the potential for commercialization.
- Develop and optimize cellulose treatment/processing methods for the production of nanocellulose from a range of starting materials.
- Research additives with antimicrobial, antioxidant, or other properties of interest for advanced formulation development.
- Characterize and validate developed formulations as food-packaging materials.
- Perform feasibility analysis for formulation development and practical application at scale.
- Publish results in the form of patents or scientific journal articles, present results at international conferences, participate in public media releases.
- PhD degree in material science, food science, chemical engineering or related fields.
- Experience in experimental research, practical lab work (e.g. material synthesis, processing, and scale-up, colloidal and interface science) and talent for experimental design is required.
- Interest in sustainable materials development with a potential for industrial implementation.
- Project management and entrepreneurial experience is a benefit.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is a pre-condition, knowledge of German is an asset.
- Self-motivated, critical-thinking, open-minded and communicative, with a strong interest to work in an interdisciplinary research environment.
We are an international team dedicated to advance the development of a new generation of active, sustainable and highly functional biomaterials using cellulose and wood as material resources. We offer a challenging position (one year with possible extension) in a research institution in the Zürich area with outstanding infrastructure and within a broadly interdisciplinary setting. The position is available from January 1, 2022.