Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
Empa’s Laboratory for Air Pollution and Environmental Technology develops atmospheric measurement techniques and modelling tools as a contribution to a healthy and safe environment. For the development of our organic trace gas measurements and for the support of European efforts in this field, we are looking for a
Computational Scientist/Chemist or Physicist
- Development of a Python-based software for the analysis of gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectra for the detection of unknown organic substances in the atmosphere (non-target screening), with a special focus on halogenated substances
- Programming of efficient algorithms for the analysis of large data sets
- Adaptation of the software to a newly developed analytical instrument in collaboration with Tofwerk (Thun) as the industrial partner
- Support of the measurements of halogenated greenhouse gases at Jungfraujoch with focus on instrument control software and data analysis
- Statistical analysis of measurement data for emission source identification
- Masters degree or PhD in computational science, chemistry, physics or environmental chemistry
- Experience in programming of efficient algorithms for the analysis of large data sets
- Technical skills and experience in the development and application of software for improving measurement technology and data analysis
- Ideally, experience in non-target screening of environmental samples and GC-MS, chemical-ionisation MS and/or electron ionisation MS
- Very good oral and written communication skills in German and English
- Personal responsibility and willingness for open communication and dedicated teamwork
The position is available immediately and has an initial duration of two year.