Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory of Joining Technologies and Corrosion at Empa in Dübendorf drives innovations in joining technologies and corrosion management to enable evolution towards increasingly efficient, reliable and sustainable material technologies.
For our activities in the field of (high-temperature) lead-free soldering technology for advanced applications with industrial and R&D partners (internal and external), we are looking for a
Postdoc in the area of lead-free soldering
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Principal investigator in the field of (high-temperature) lead-free soldering for advanced applications (technology development, process engineering, materials design, joint characterisation)
- Project work according to the project description and industrial requirements (experimental and theoretical work, project reports)
- Development of advanced solutions to industrial problems
- Research work in the topical field
- Presentation at scientific conferences and writing of scientific publications
- Collaboration within interdisciplinary project team, e.g. with industrial partners
- Support in R&D projects related to the aforementioned fields
- Supervision of student research projects
- PhD degree in Materials for Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Material Science, Physics or Nanoscience/Nanotechnology and good experimental skills
- Prior experience in lead-free soldering, reliability testing of solder joints and materials characterisation
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written) is mandatory, preferably knowledge of German; good communication skills
- Interest and ability to work in highly-interdisciplinary teams and with industrial partners
- An interesting project position in the field of applied research with an opportunity for independent research
- Attractive employment conditions of the ETH Domain
- A highly interdisciplinary and dynamic research environment with state-of-the-art laboratory equipment
- An international network and contacts to academic and industrial partners
- Opportunity to develop and make your own contribution in a socially and economically highly regarded field
The position (100%) is available after negotiation and will be initially limited to two years.