Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The WoodTec Group in the Laboratory for Cellulose & Wood Materials is offering a
Post-Doctoral position in the research field of Wood Bonding Technologies
Adhesive bonding is a decisive technology for the production of high-performance and reliable wood materials for construction. Related research activities are conducted in a joint working group between Empa, Laboratory for Cellulose & Wood Materials
and ETH Zürich, Chair of Wood Materials Science (D-BAUG)
. This post-doctoral position is available in our group to develop further research activities in the field of wood bonding.
Your Mission and Responsibilities
- Contribution to research projects in cooperation with industrial partners
- Planning and conduction of experimental work in the lab and at industrial production facilities
- Preparation and testing of bonding of wooden specimens with a specific focus on bio-based resin systems
- Participation in project meetings with presentation of work progress
- Presentation of results in scientific journals and at conferences
- A PhD in wood technology, materials science, chemistry or related fields with a strong background in adhesive and bonding technology
- Strong interest in fundamental and applied wood research
- Scientific writing and communication skills
- Fluency in German and English (written and oral) is mandatory.
We expect a highly motivated, open-minded and flexible person with a strong interest in materials science and chemistry and fluency in German and English. Good talent in design and operation of experimental set-ups and laboratory work is mandatory. You will be working in an international, science-oriented team addressing various fields of wood science and technology at a research institution in the Zurich area with outstanding infrastructure and within a broadly interdisciplinary setting. The duration of this position is two years. The project will start October 1st 2021.