Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Air Pollution / Environmental Technology has an opening for a
3-year postdoc / scientist position in the field of mid-IR frequency comb spectroscopy
Within this interdisciplinary project, we will develop high-precision, mid-IR dual-comb spectroscopy based on quantum cascade lasers (QCLs) to investigate control strategies for emerging ultrafast laser manufacturing processes. We thus take advantage of the unique speed and spectral coverage of QCL frequency combs, and of very recent developments in laser driving, data acquisition and analysis. The work involves intensive collaboration with experts in laser manufacturing, operando analysis and QCL design at EPFL, PSI and ETHZ.
Job description, responsibilities and tasks:
- Develop a heterodyne (dual-comb) spectrometer for real-time measurements of changes in mid-IR spectral features during ultrafast laser processing of materials.
- Design the optical layout, detection scheme, and data processing hardware architecture.
- Investigate and implement fast data retrieval and processing algorithms to provide feedback for closed-loop manufacturing control.
- Coordinate research with EPFL (laser manufacturing), PSI (imaging) and ETHZ (QCL development).
- Lead and contribute to writing of peer-reviewed publications and promote the results at international conferences.
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- Solid background in optics, lasers and spectroscopy
- Expertise in a least some of the following: frequency combs, heterodyne detection, laser driving and handling, fast data acquisition, processing of heterodyne (dual-comb) data
- Experience in experimental research, ability to conduct independent scientific work and communication
- Programming skills, e.g. Python, Matlab, LabVIEW, C/C++
- Fluency in English is required; basic oral expression skills in German are desirable
The position is available from August 2021 and will remain open until filled.