Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
For an ERC consolidator grant at the Laboratory for Functional Polymers we are searching for a
PhD student in synthesis of smart materials for soft robots
The aim of the project is to develop novel elastomers for electrically driven soft robots and artificial skin. The emphasis will be on the synthesis of specially designed polymers and elastomers with improved dielectric properties.
- Perform the synthesis and characterization of new polymers
- Prepare thin films and investigate their properties
- Collaborate with internal and external groups
- Communicate results at meetings, conferences, and write reports and publications
- Master in chemistry or polymer chemistry
- Knowledge in characterization of macromolecules
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English (written and oral) is mandatory
- Open mind to new technologies
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with a strong background in synthetic organic and polymer chemistry, ability to work in a multidisciplinary field, and open to learn new things.
The work will be carried out at Empa Dübendorf unter the supervision of Dr Dorina Opris. You will be registered as a PhD Student either at ETHZ or EPFL. The planned duration for receiving a PhD is four years and the start date is determined by agreement.