Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
Our Laboratory High Performance Ceramics is looking for a
PhD Student in the field of 3D printing of sensor integrated soft robotic structures
The PhD student is funded as part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Innovative Training Networks under the European Commission’s H2020 programme. The PhD student will contribute to the project “Soft, Self-responsive, Smart MAterials for RoboTs” as early stage researchers (ESRs) with the possibility to write a PhD thesis within the 3 years project duration.
- a detailed understanding of fiber based functional elastomer structures
- to synthesize ceramic magnetic and ferroelectric particles (ferrimagnetic and ferroelectric materials) by wet chemistry, flame synthesis and electrospinning
- to evaluate concepts of magneto- and ferroelectric active elastomer structures
- to introduce the developed materials and composites in soft robotics applications
- to develop soft sensors and actuators considering industrial application
- Master degree in materials science or engineering (before 1/10/2020).
- Previous experience of ceramic magnetic materials, synthesis of inorganic powders and nano fibers, direct printing or FDM technology.
- Willingness to move countries for ESR placement and temporary secondments.
- Fluent in English: Network fellows (ESRs) must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from the network training.
- Advanced knowledge of FEM simulation, ORIGIN- and MS Office.
- Personal initiative, reliable, responsibility, teamwork and communication skills.
We offer a PhD student position at the research institution, in collaboration with European Universities, with excellent infrastructure and plenty of possibilities for personal and professional development. The position is for three year starting Sept. 2020.