Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
Empa’s Center for X-ray Analytics is offering a
PhD position: Study of structure – property relationship of multilayer systems for implantable devices: dynamical in-situ XRD and SAXS studies
This interdisciplinary PhD project combines chemistry, material sciences, biology while focusing on X-ray diffraction and scattering studies. In-situ SAXS and XRD studies are based on the combination of structural analysis with dynamical changes in the environment of multilayer systems. Synergies with other analytical methods microscopy methods will be explored for a deep system understanding in the context of implantable device applications.
- Develop and carry out fundamental analytical research focusing X-ray based methods in the context of multilayer systems and device packaging for the Medtech domain.
- Investigate materials interaction with the bio environment.
- Leverage the synergies of the interdisciplinary project at the interface of material science and biology being in constant exchange with our collaboration partners.
- Publish results in high impact journal and present your work at international conferences.
- Completed Master`s degree in chemistry, biology, physics or materials science.
- Previous experience with X-ray diffraction (XRD) and small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS).
- Highly motivated, communicative and interest in interdisciplinary research.
- Language skills: English, German (advantageous)
We offer a challenging position at a materials research institution with outstanding infrastructure and an interdisciplinary surrounding. You can expect significant support and guidance from established scientists during the whole of your project. Project duration of 3 years is planned in order to carry out the above research tasks. The project is supported by Empa and Innosuisse - the Swiss Innovation Agency. The candidate will perform his research at Empa in Dübendorf. Desired starting date is 1st of March 2020 or upon mutual agreement.