Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Cellulose & Wood Materials Laboratory investigates naturally existing structures in wood-based materials and the interactions between renewable polymers, nanoparticles and colloids. The main goal of this development work is to find energy-efficient ways to build high-performance materials that contribute to a sustainable future. To this end, we are working together with researchers and industry on important technological challenges.
The Cellulose & Wood Materials laboratory is looking for a
as a technical/scientific employee for an Innosuisse project. The project with our industrial partner Dätwyler Switzerland Inc. focuses on the development of an industrial process for the production of sustainable fillers from chemically modified cellulose, which are to be used for elastomer compounds and products.
- the development of processes for the chemical functionalization of cellulose materials on a laboratory and pilot scale
- detailed characterization of functionalized cellulose materials and elastomer compounds using scientific methods and standards
- cooperation with our project partner Dätwyler Switzerland Inc.
- writing reports, publications and presentations about the results for our project partner, scientific journals and international conferences
- a university degree in the fields of materials science, materials technology, process engineering or chemistry
- detailed knowledge in the field of chemical synthesis and functionalization of cellulose materials
- detailed knowledge in practical laboratory work, operation of machines and process development
- an interest in working together in an interdisciplinary project team
- good knowledge of German and English, which are prerequisites
We are offering:
- an interesting project and tasks with a lot of responsibility in the field of applied and industry-related research
- a research topic, which receives strong attention in society and economy
- national and international contacts to universities and industry
- attractive, performance-oriented conditions of employment within the ETH Domain
- an employment that is limited to two years