Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Empa Laboratory of Cellulose & Wood Materials is offering a
Postdoc position on printed fungal biobatteries
Together with our team of experienced scientists, you will develop the next generation of sustainable energy storage technologies on fungal biobatteries and their additive manufacturing. This project bridges our activities in the fields of wood bioengineering and cellulose-based energy storage. The goal is to develop a DIW-printed biobattery that is based on the symbiotic culture of fungi (electron source) and algae (nutrient source for fungi). This position is funded by the prestigious Gebert Rüf Stiftung Microbials initiative, and it offers the possibility to combine fundamental and applied science for the development of sustainable energy storage technologies.
- Identify and optimize microbial metabolisms and electrochemical pathways at the electrodes.
- Study and optimize the symbiotic co-culture of fungi and algae.
- Develop fungi and algae bio-inks based on nanocellulose gels.
- Design and manufacture fully printed biobatteries using the developed inks.
- Characterize electrochemical performance and biodegradation process of the printed battery.
- Publish in peer-reviewed high-impact factor journals and present at international conferences.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Applied microbiology or related disciplines.
- Proven track record of publication in high-impact factor journals and good communication skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for scientific creativity and non-conventional thinking.
- Experienced in microbial metabolism and electrochemical reaction mechanism is required. Experience in materials science is an advantage.
- Fluent in written and oral English.
- Self-motivated, critical-thinking, open-minded and communicative, with a strong interest to work in an interdisciplinary research environment.
We offer a challenging position at Empa, the Swiss research institute for materials science and technology in Dübendorf, close to Zürich, to conduct cutting-edge research for the benefits of industry and the wellbeing of society. The selected candidate will be offered a 1-year full-time position starting on April 1, 2020, with possible extensions for up to 3 years total. Applications can be submitted until January 31, 2020.