Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is an interdisciplinary research and services institution for materials science and technology development within the ETH Domain.
To enforce our team at the Center for X-ray Analytics we are looking for a
Tenure-track Group leader in the area of X-ray diffraction and Scattering with a focus on SAXS
We have a unique expertise and infrastructure in one laboratory combining X-ray diffraction (XRD), scattering (SAXS) and 3D imaging (XCT, XPCI) on various lengths scales.Our core activities in the development X-ray based methods relate to soft matter such as polymers and complex biological systems with applications in the medical domain. We focus on studies under various non-ambient environmental conditions (4D) giving access to structure dynamics.
In this tenure-track group leader position, you have the possibility to develop an international scientific profile and to obtain a permanent position after successful evaluations after 2 and 4 years.
- R&D in the domain of X-ray analytics, with a focus on small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS), non-ambient environmental studies, data analysis, modelling and simulations
- Planning and leading scientific projects as well as an ongoing development of methods and equipment
- writing project proposals and acquisition of external funding
- presentation of scientific results through publications and on conferences
- active engaging with scientific collaborators and industrial partners
- PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, materials science or physics
- deep knowledge in X-ray diffraction and scattering methods
- scientific excellence and being an independent researcher
- creative, curious,thinking “out of the box”and interdisciplinary
- proactive and convincing
- successful in project acquisition (SNF, InnoSwiss or similar)
- experienced in project management and writing scientific publications
- fluent in English and German and enjoying a multicultural environment
We offer a challenging executive position at a research institution with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surrounding. The work will be carried out at Empa St. Gallen. Starting date: 1st of January 2020 or by agreement.