Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Applied Wood Materials Laboratory contributes to the development of functional cellulose and wood based materials and is offering a
Postdoc position on printed biodegradable energy storage on paper
The project is carried out in close collaboration with academic partners in Switzerland as well as other research groups at Empa.
- Together with our team of experienced scientists you will develop printed biodegradable energy storage systems on paper substrates for future applications in integrated environmental, agriculture and food sensing.
- Development of tailored paper and nanocellulose based substrates that allow to store the functional materials and to activate the device on demand.
- Development of biodegradable inks for conductive and energy storage functionality.
- Realization, electrochemical characterization and application specific validation of printed materials and devices.
- Presentation of the research results at international scientific conferences and through high-impact publications.
- PhD degree in material science, electrochemistry, chemical engineering or related fields
- Proven track record of publication in high-quality journals
- Demonstrated aptitude for scientific creativity and non-conventional thinking
- Experience in experimental research (e.g. material synthesis and processing, colloidal and interface science, electrochemistry) and talent for experimental design is required
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is a pre-condition
- You are a highly motivated, critical thinking, open-minded and communicative person, with a strong interest to work in an interdisciplinary research environment
We are an international team dedicated to advance the development of a new generation of active, renewable and highly functional biomaterials using cellulose and wood as material resources. We offer a challenging position (one year with possible extension) in a research institution in the Zürich area with outstanding infrastructure and within a broadly interdisciplinary setting. The position is available from January 1, 2019.