Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
In line with Empa’s mission, its Technology and Society Laboratory (TSL) creates and transfers knowledge to support the transition to a more sustainability society. In particular, TSL analyses novel materials and emerging technology applications with a focus on associated material and energy stocks and flows, and evaluates them with regard to both natural environment and societal constraints. From the beginning of June 2017, TSL is looking to recruit a
Scientist (master degree) (80-100%)
to work on an applied and interdisciplinary research project, “Greensense”, in an international context on life cycle assessment and human and environmental risk assessment of new materials for paper based electronics.
The European project Greensense focuses on the implementation of Eco-Design in industrial innovation processes for NanoCellulose-based printed electronics and biosensors. The two-year position will mainly involve the assessment of the environmental performance of such a biosensing platform compared to alternatives on the market (using Life Cycle Assessments), the assessment of the environmental health and safety aspects of the various new materials and processes developed within this project and the identification of further sustainable applications for them in close collaboration with the industrial partners of Greensense.
- Master degree in environmental/natural sciences or engineering
- Experience with life cycle assessment methods and/or human and environmental risk assessment
- Preferably experiences in any of the following area: electronic waste, rare metals, pervasive computing, or nanomaterials
- Experience in scientific writing and publishing
- Very good communication skills in English, orally and written