The Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich) is one of Switzerland's largest teacher education institutions and a leading centre of expertise for schools, teachers and educational authorities. The services of the PH Zurich include education, training, research and additional services such as consulting and international development projects.
The research division for education sciences includes the centres for "education and digital transformation", "inclusion and health in schools", "childhood in education and society" and "school history".
We are offering two 4-year positions as doctoral researcher (80-100%) in the project "Algorithmic Sorting in Education", starting September 1st 2022. We are looking for two excellent and dedicated researchers with an interest in the social foundations and consequences of the digital transformation in education who would like to pursue a PhD project in a highly salient and dynamic field of research.
The positions are linked to the projekt "Algorithmic Sorting in Education", funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). This project asks how artificial intelligence (AI) might transform school education with a strong focus on questions of social justice and algorithmic discrimination. It deepens our understanding of these dynamics by investigating how actors in teaching and technology understand, envision and shape the role of AI in education. For more information on the project please click here.
The positions are affiliated to the interdisciplinary «center for education and digital transformation». They offer exciting research perspectives and excellent conditions for building an academic profile while conducting your PhD project.
The PhD projects will be conducted at the University of Teacher Education Zurich in collaboration with another Swiss university (to be specified jointly).
- Completion of a PhD dissertation in the thematic field of algorithmic sorting in education
- Participation in joint research activities (focus groups, case studies, data analysis)
- International conference and publication activities
- Academic exchange and collaboration at the University of Teacher Education Zurich as well as with national and international partner institutions
- Master degree or equivalent in sociology, educational sciences or a related discipline
- Excellent qualitative research skills
- Understanding of current perspectives in the sociology of education, science and technology studies and/or critical data studies
- Interest in social science debates on education in the digital era
- Preferably first publication experiences
- Preferably experience with working in project teams
- Capacity to work in teams as well as individually
- Preferably German language skills
Please apply (cover letter, CV, references) by June 15th 2022 through PHZH’s E-Recruiting system only. For security reasons we do not accept applications sent by e-mail. We are looking forward to your application in German or in English.