The Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich) is one of the largest institutions for teacher training in Switzerland, with over 3,600 students enrolled in our comprehensive academic programme across the four areas of professional training and development, research, and services (www.phzh.ch).
We are seeking applicants for phase 2 of the international R4D research project "Skills for Industry", which is funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). The PH Zurich is offering the following position, which is due to start on 1. September 2020 or by arrangement
Doctoral Student "Skills for Industry" 100% (f/m/d)
(for a fixed period of 3 years)
Your area of responsibility
- Writing a dissertation or scientific papers with the aim of obtaining a doctorate in a discipline relevant to professional education research
- Further developing tools for data collection across 6 countries
- Analysing research data
- Coordinating research tasks between the countries involved in the project
- Traveling to the project countries (Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, South Africa)
- Participating in the publication of the results, and pursuing own publications
- Using the data from the research project for a doctorate in a discipline relevant to professional education research at a university of your choice
- Master's degree in Sociology, Political Science, Education, Economics or Ethnology
- Extensive knowledge of the social sciences, especially theories of social and economic change, education systems and international cooperation
- Proficient in using quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Good operational German-language skills in speaking and writing, and excellent English-language skills
- Genuine interest in international cooperation
- Capacity for team work and resilience
- Openness to, and interest in, engaging with different cultures and ways of thinking
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility
What we offer
- You will have the opportunity to develop your own doctoral thesis as part of the project and to rely on the support of a dedicated research team. The project will allow you to engage in research and networking at both a national and international level, and to investigate fundamental questions of social and economic change in developing and emerging countries.
- An attractive working environment at the campus of PH Zurich, directly at Zurich main station
- Work within a team of qualified researchers
- Wages according to SNSF stipulations for doctoral students
We look forward to receiving your application.
Please submit your complete online application by 31 May 2020 exclusively via our e-recruiting tool (click on the button below).
Please upload the following documents into the recruiting tool: Cover letter, CV, certificates.
For more information about the position, please contact the project lead, Prof. Dr. Markus Maurer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +41 43 305 66 12).