The Department for International Projects in Education (IPE) (https://phzh.ch/en/Services/IPE/) of the PH Zurich supports schools and organisations with educational projects in Switzerland and abroad. The IPE focuses on tailor-made, high-quality projects with a sustainable impact. The IPE specialises in democracy education, job orientation, the promotion of life skills, migration and multilingualism.
With approximately 4000 students and more than 12’000 continuing professional development participants a year, the Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich) is one of Switzerland’s largest teacher education institutions and a leading centre of expertise for schools, teachers and educational authorities.
For the implementation of an educational project with young refugees, we are looking now for a
Local Project Coordinator (60%)
Beginning February 1, 2020 or by appointment; the position is limited until December 31, 2021.
Workplace in Greece, preferably in Athens or Thessaloniki.
For many children fleeing from war or living in refugee camps, the right to education is not being upheld. The UNHCR and many NGOs are therefore trying to make up for the deficiencies of the school system by teaching children and young people despite the difficult circumstances. In many cases, however, children and adolescents go to school in the country of arrival. The project Children of Refugees in Education (CORE) aims to support both, schools and NGOs, with an online teaching and learning tool. The tasks are designed to promote the development of life skills and to strengthen the self-esteem of teenagers and young adults.
The online tasks are also meant to support the development of the first language and are therefore available in English, Arabic and Dari. In addition, the project contains a training course for teachers and social workers on teaching life skills and self-competences. The edX platform offers the CORE program as a MOOC (massive open online course (http://mooc.phzh.ch). Students and teachers have access to it through their smartphones and computers.
This function includes the following tasks
- Overall project management of CORE in Greece,
- Organizing all the workshops/trainings in Greece in close cooperation with the project management in Zurich, the NGOs and other key partners,
- Coordinating the diverse implementation activities and duties as the local contact person,
- Ensuring the communication between IPE and the involved NGOs and other institutions, including cooperation with local actors (Ministry of Education, refugee education coordinators, schools etc.),
- Organizing meetings and trainings with stakeholders,
- Cooperating with the multipliers (social workers, teachers, psychologist, mediators, volunteers etc.) who coordinate the project within their NGO or institution,
- Travelling in Greece to ensure contacts and meetings and ensuring the long-term sustainability of the project,
- Taking part in workshops if necessary,
- Monitoring the activities and being first contact for NGOs,
- Openness for communication and the exchange of experiences with our Project Manager in Leb-anon,
- Translation and Interpretation from English to Greek and vice versa if required (written and oral),
- Managing the budget for the implementation in Greece,
- Preparing reports on activities for IPE and the donors.
- Affinity and motivation to be part of an international team to improve the situation of refugees in Greece in education,
- A degree in a relevant field to education (e.g. pedagogy and/or psychology and/or sociology) and working experience,
- Experience in project coordination or project management,
- Experience in working with NGOs and ideally in the context of the refugee issue or/and educa-tion,
- Flexibility, as the workload will vary in the course of the year,
- Motivational power and empathy,
- Communication skills,
- Excellent spoken and written English and Greek. Arabic and/or Dari language skills are an ad-vantage,
- In hectic situations you are able to keep the overview and are cooperative,
- Be open minded and flexible.
- attractive working conditions in an international working field,
- CORE as an innovative online learning tool http://mooc.phzh.ch,
- a varied and challenging job in the field of refugee education,
- being part of an international team and innovative project with impact on the development of the society,
- good contacts to the relevant NGOs in Greece, first trainings have been executed in October 2019 in Thessaloniki and Samos.
We gladly expect your complete application (motivation letter, CV and diplomas) until December 31, 2019. Your data will be treated confidentially. The first interview will be via skype, the second one face-to-face in Greece.
For further information please contact Ms. Doris Kuhn, project coordinator CORE, University of Teacher Education in Zurich, 8090 Zurich, Switzerland. (firstname.lastname@example.org)