To reinforce our team in Bern, Switzerland, we are seeking a Scientific project manager for the SwissBioData ecosystem.
Scientific project manager for the SwissBioData ecosystem
University of Berne
Type of contract
The SwissBioData ecosystem is a decentralised infrastructure that enables data-driven research in life sciences, and boosts Switzerland's capacity to convert biological research data into knowledge and innovation. It will take “Open Science” and “FAIR data” (findable, accessible, interoperable, reusable) to the next level. Within the SwissBioData ecosystem, the landscape will evolve from a multitude of research groups, each with its own FAIR data, into a large national virtual laboratory in which data, methods, software tools and workflows can be shared and reused. Every researcher will have access to a FAIR space consisting of data, workflows, methods, software tools, and machine learning models.
This project has been proposed in the framework of the SERI roadmap for research infrastructure. The funding decision should be known in Q2 2024 for the implementation during the 2025-2029 period. The development of this infrastructure will involve collaboration between 54 platforms, core facilities and research groups across 18 Swiss institutions/organizations and will be aligned with European initiatives as well as best standards. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible to start planning and organizing the project with all stakeholders.
- Identify all stakeholders, milestones, possible bottlenecks and constrains.
- Benchmark international initiatives and identify best practices.
- Plan timelines and deliverables in liaison with the work package leads and PIs of the project.
- Proactively onboard all stakeholders and make sure information is shared seamlessly.
- Contribute to the governance set up.
- Oversee and contribute to the timely and qualitative delivery of the project objectives.
- Plan and monitor project budget.
- Align and reach consensus with project partners and stakeholders.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Deal with issues as they arise in a diplomatic and pragmatic way.
We offer a dynamic and collaborative work environment that fosters innovation and professional growth. This is a unique opportunity to participate in the planning and management of the SwissBioDataEcosystem project and to make a sustainable impact on the Swiss and international bioinformatics landscape.
The position is initially until end of 2024 but with the possibility of extension, either within the SBDe or other projects.
- Minimal master's degree in computer science, bioinformatics, genomics, biology, or a related field.
Specific knowledge (technical)
- Certified in project management or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of data management would be an asset
- Sound understanding of open science and FAIR data requirements
- 5+ years of experience in management of large interdisciplinary projects
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in computational science, bioinformatics or related field of application/research
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment.
Professional skills and aptitudes
- Proven effective planning management skills including team and multi-stakeholder projects, with the ability to prfioritize work to deadlines
- Demonstrable experience in fostering partnerships and collaboration with and between diverse and competing stakeholders
- Strong negotiation skills and a diplomatic approach.
- Methodical and organizational skills including a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships
- Capacity to motivate and influence others
- Dynamic and flexible
- Curious, tenacious and reliable
- Strict sense of confidentiality and discretion
- Demonstrable commitment, energy and enthusiasm to drive projects forward
- English: excellent
- German: an asset
- French: an asset
How to apply