To reinforce our team in Zürich, Switzerland, we are seeking a Scientific Software Developer.
Scientific Software Developer
University of Zurich (UZH)
Type of contract
Our research group is a dynamic and interdisciplinary team dedicated to advancing the understanding of global microbial ecosystems. Our flagship project, MicrobeAtlas, is a web-based resource that allows users to interactively explore and analyze over two million microbial communities from globally distributed environmental and clinical samples. This platform will empower scientists to identify potential drivers of critical environmental phenomena, such as global warming, detect disease-causing agents, and explore the largely unknown domain of 'microbial dark matter'.
As an emerging resource in the field, MicrobeAtlas offers unique opportunities for developers interested in making a meaningful impact on science and society. We're seeking a passionate and self-motivated Scientific Database Developer to drive the technological development of our platform. This will involve steering and further professionalizing MicrobeAtlas’s web presence, with a strong focus on responsiveness and user experience. The interested candidate may further take an active role in the sustained development of the HPC-based data processing backend.
In the role of Scientific Software Developer, you will:
• Lead the design and implementation of MicrobeAtlas's database system, with particular focus on responsiveness and scalability
• Work with large datasets to ensure their efficient management and processing
• Collaborate closely with our team of scientists to constantly extend the platform's features
• Incorporate user feedback to improve the usability and accessibility of our platform
What We Offer
• The opportunity to significantly shape the technological trajectory of an emerging scientific resource
• The opportunity to make significant contributions to a rapidly advancing field
• An engaging and cooperative research atmosphere that promotes collaboration
• Flexible choice of technologies and design tools
• A need-oriented schedule and home office options
• A beautiful campus with a park, lake and hiking options in the vicinity
MicrobeAtlas is part of the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Microbiomes, federating 23 expert research teams from 6 institutions across Switzerland. The center is committed towards enabling rational management of microbes for health, environment and engineering applications, for which integrated microbiomics resources such as MicrobeAtlas are essential. You will have the opportunity to closely interact with NCCR experts through scientific retreats, workshops, and collaborations.
- Diploma (MSc or PhD) in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or a related discipline
- A high level of self-motivation and enthusiasm for software design and implementation
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with scientists and other stakeholders
- Language proficiency in English
- Experience as a Database Developer or similar role, with a track record of designing robust and scalable systems
- Experience in scientific programming and/or bioinformatics, in particular working with large-scale data sets
- Domain-knowledge in the Biological Sciences, ideally in Microbial Ecology
How to apply