The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is an internationally recognized non-profit organization, dedicated to biological and biomedical data science. Its data scientists are passionate about creating knowledge and solving complex questions in many fields, from biodiversity and evolution to medicine. They provide essential databases and software platforms as well as bioinformatics expertise and services to academic, clinical, and industry groups. SIB federates the Swiss bioinformatics community of some 800 scientists, encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing. The Institute contributes to keeping Switzerland at the forefront of innovation by fostering progress in biological research and enhancing health.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
In the context of evolution of our domains of activities, SIB has decided to create a new group and is looking for its Director, Environmental Bioinformatics.
Director, Environmental Bioinformatics
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
Type of contract
The Mission of this role will be to:
- Develop an environmental bioinformatics expertise in our center of excellence.
- Further SIB’s mission by developing data-intensive biological research infrastructure to support the societal challenges of biodiversity loss and climate change.
- Develop synergies with external partners liaising and federating the community of affiliated SIB group leaders who are international leaders in this domain.
- Contribute to the SwissBioData ecosystem (SBDe) project through preparatory work of the SBDe within SIB (in partnership with the project lead who is being hired at UniBe).
- Grasp opportunities at European and national level (as Biodiversity is a priority topic of the ELIXIR 2024-2028 Programme and planetary Biology is a new key area of EMBL).
- Reinforce our Centre of Excellence bringing the expertise in environmental bioinformatics within our Centre of Excellence to contribute to an increasing number of projects in this domain (such as Swiss Digital Botanical Garden, Earth Metabolome Initiative, EU project Microbe-4-climate, ELIXIR-STEERS, etc.).
- Ensure the strategic and operational leadership of the Environmental Bioinformatics Group.
- PhD life sciences (i.e. environmental-related degree, bioinformactics), additional further education degrees in the field of Data Science, Research, etc. is an advantage
- Excellent understanding of environmental genomics research
- Outstanding knowledge of FAIR requirements and general requirements for data-driven research
- Min. 10 years experience in developing computational approaches in the field of evolutionary & functional genomics related to biodiversity
- Min. 5 years experience in people management and leadership
- Outstanding writing and communication skills in English and at least one national language (German and/or French)
- Capacity to think synthetically and strategically, identify opportunities and anticipate potential threats
How to apply