To reinforce our team in Bern, Switzerland, we are seeking a Bioinformatician/Computational Biologist.
University of Berne
80% - 100%
Type of contract
The Next Generation Sequencing Platform (NGSP) and Interfaculty Bioinformatics Unit (IBU) are two core facilities providing NGS and bioinformatics services to researchers of the University of Bern and external partners. We provide expertise to help researchers with the planning, sequencing, implementation and analysis of next generation sequencing (NGS) experiments. We run and maintain the laboratory information management system (LIMS) used as central information platform which is essential for the technicians of the NGSP and customers of the NGSP platform. Besides, the IBU runs a High Performance Compute cluster used by researchers of UniBe and UniFr and also directs the “MSc in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology”.
The purpose of this position is to build and maintain bioinformatics expertise at the NGSP. The job holder will provide dedicated IT infrastructure, data utilization, data processing, and support the running of secondary analyses in a high throughput based research services environment for Next Generation Sequencing. This key position is embedded in both units and is administratively affiliated with the IBU.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Running and management of NGSP’s laboratory information management systems and servers with support from IBU.
- Abilities to implement and execute various data handling (e.g. transferring, archiving etc.) and data utility tasks (e.g. demultiplexing, trimming, quality control etc.).
- Develop and implement innovative bioinformatics analysis pipelines for costed, secondary analysis services that build on established NGSP services.
- Offering state-of-the-art bioinformatics expertise in the scope of the NGSP as a technical core facility towards researchers (e.g. basic consultations, workshops etc.).
- Bioinformatics Support for the operational running of the NGSP.
- Substantial role in active development of the NGSP product portfolio
- Major contribution towards strategic initiatives of the NGSP
- Coordination of projects shared between NGSP and IBU
Ideally, you have a PhD in biology, bioinformatics or related field and:
- proven experience with NGS data analysis
- proven experience in developing analytical pipelines
- proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, R, C++)
- proven experience in leading complex bioinformatics projects
- ability to work closely with and involve relevant stakeholders of diverse technical fields and functions within the University and external partners
- ability to communicate and collaborate effectively to researchers from various fields
- demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects in parallel
- A position as a staff scientist of initially 2 years, with the possibility for extension.
- A supportive working environment and excellent computational resources
- Very varied work and the opportunity to learn new technical skills
- Starting date 1st March or upon agreement
The working language of our group is English. Knowledge of German is useful but not required.
How to apply