To reinforce our team in Basel, Switzerland, we are seeking a Scientific Computing - Systems Administrator.
Scientific Computing - Systems Administrator
University of Basel (Unibas)
Type of contract
Towards strengthening our capacity in the growing area of Data Science, we invite applications for an Interactive Scientific Computing Systems Administrator (100%). The position is integrated with the systems administration team of sciCORE and you will have the opportunity to contribute to development and feature extensions of JupyterHub and similar frameworks for interactive scientific computing in both research and teaching contexts.
At sciCORE you will be part of a highly efficient and motivated team of diverse scholarly IT specialists. Our team includes scientific software engineers, data infrastructure managers, IT systems administrators, and a team of data analysts in collaboration with the Center for Data Analytics (CeDA). You will have the opportunity to work with world-leading researchers across the spectrum of academic disciplines, as well as contribute to training in scientific computing for the next generation of scientists. We support our team members in their own training, networking and career development. The initial contract is for 2 years, with the possibility for extension to a long-term contract following performance evaluations.
The ideal candidate has the following profile:
- Masters in computer sciences or equivalent, or academic degree in a computational domain
- Strong experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a research environment
- Hands-on experience in configuring, deploying and supporting complex web services: incl. application and management services (e.g. access control, monitoring, logging)
- Hands-on experience with script-based system management (bash, Python) and in using version control systems for configuration management (e.g. git)
- Knowledge of HPC management with tools such as Ansible, EasyBuild, Foreman, XenServer, slurm (or equivalent)
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Singularity) and advanced computing techniques (parallelization, use of GPUs) is a strong asset.
- Experience with core IT security technologies (firewall and SSH server configuration, key management, VPNs)
How to apply