To reinforce our team in Zürich, Switzerland, we are seeking a Research Scientist.
Research Scientist, Microbial Genomics & Bioinformatics
Type of contract
- De novo genome assembly of NGS data from various technologies (Illumina, PacBio, Oxford Nanopore Technologies), genome annotation of microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, fungi) as well as comparative genomics analyses to identify core, accessory, and strain-specific genes of the isolated strains compared to already known strains.
- Data analysis of RNA-Seq and other OMICS data (differential gene expression analysis to identify relevant candidate genes), pathway and gene set enrichment analyses, plus integrative data analysis and data mining, e.g. to decipher potential mechanisms of action.
- Presentation of results in publications and at conferences; writing of scientific reports.
- Expansion/maintenance of existing analysis pipelines (genome assembly, transcriptome analyses, etc.).
- Acquisition of third-party funds; supervision of students; deputy team leader.
- Experienced scientist (MSc degree) with a PhD in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology and several years as a postdoc with relevant programming experience (Python, Linux scripting/bash, R, Java).
- Demonstrated experience in the analysis and integration of functional genomics data (genome assembly, comparative genomics, RNA-Seq, other OMICS data, pathway analysis, deciphering potential mechanisms of action). Knowledge of metagenomics data analysis is desirable.
- Execution/management of collaborative research projects (supervision of students); acquisition of third-party funding.
- Motivated, highly productive personality with strong teamwork and communication skills.
- The post requires a knowledge of two official Swiss languages and very good spoken and written English.
How to apply