Type of contract
About the position
The Genomics and Health Informatics group at the Idiap Research Institute in Martigny (Switzerland) has availability for one SNF funded postdoctoral candidate to join our efforts in identifying early mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders. Additional funding for consumables, computing, and to attend international conferences is available.
About the project
We are seeking a highly motivated, ambitious and talented scientist to join our efforts to understand how molecular biology shapes cellular morphology at early stages of ALS. The postdoc will develop computational, machine learning and statistical methods to high content microscopy data to investigate the impact of aberrant mRNA metabolism (alternative splicing and polyadenylation) on the developmental trajectories of motor neurons and astrocytes during early ALS pathogenesis. Experimental validation of key findings (protein fluorescent microscopy, smFISH, etc) will be performed in the Human Stem Cells and Neurodegeneration Laboratory (Prof. Rickie Patani) from the Francis Crick Institute (London) through which we have access to high-quality data (iCLIP, transcriptomic, cellular imaging). The postdoctoral term is initially for 2 years.
About our group
The Genomics and Health Informatics group develops computational models and statistical methods to interpret large-scale longitudinal data (e.g. transcriptomics, clinical, cellular imaging) to address biological questions related to human disorders. We seek to produce top notch science and foster the development of outstanding, independent scientists through nurturing mentorship and interdisciplinary, collaborative efforts. The group is an associated member of the National Center of Competence and Research (NCCR) RNA and Disease. The group is also part of the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, offering various training possibilities as well as networking opportunities within the Swiss bioinformatics community.
For more information about our group click here
The Idiap Research Institute
The successful candidate will join the vibrant Idiap research community of experts in artificial intelligence (AI). Idiap is a research institute affiliated with the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and Geneva University that offers an interactive environment in which you can broaden your horizon, develop new ideas and your independence, and grow as a scientist and a professional. The institute is located in Valais in the heart of the Alps (https://www.valais.ch/en/about-valais/living-and-working) with nature on its doorstep and urban centers easily accessible thanks to an established transport network, thus offering an ideal environment for pursuing top research while providing a superior quality of life and the perfect work-life balance. From family-run SMEs to large international groups, as well as from start-ups to innovative projects, Valais’s flourishing economy offers stimulating career prospects.
- PhD in bioimage analysis, computer vision, bioinformatics, signal processing, or related field
- Strong mathematical and computational skills
- Expert knowledge in Python, Linux and HPC computing environments
- Proven ability to take ownership of a project and push it forward independently
- Proactivity and excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills
- Outstanding writing and communication skills, with an ability to work both independently and within collaborative teams productively Track record of productivity supported by accepted or in press first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Candidates do not necessarily have to have a biological background but should have a strong desire to directly work with experimental biologists
- Good knowledge of English.
Start date: 01 Aug 2022
Workplace: Idiap Research Institute, Martigny