Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
80% - 100%
Type of contract
To leverage the potential of health-related data for better disease prevention, improved medical practice and ground-breaking innovative treatments, transdisciplinary scientific research, as well as specific infrastructural efforts, are necessary. With the overall goal of the Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN) initiative to make health-data FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and re-usable) and foster use and exchange of health data for research, the SIB’s Personalized Health Informatics Group is setting up infrastructures and innovative solutions to facilitate data analysis. BioMedIT provides a cutting-edge secure platform for research using sensitive data. It allows for the mobilization of health data, its processing and exploitation in support of improved clinical practice and new biomedical knowledge.
The SIB PHI Group, in charge of the SPHN Data Coordination Center and the BioMedIT project, is at the core of the geographically dispersed partners in Swiss hospitals, research institutions and partner organizations.
Technical coordination of national and international projects using BioMedIT services:
- Supporting new projects to find the best-fit regarding BioMedIT services.
- Contributing to the project realisation in close alignment with BioMedIT nodes.
- Troubleshooting technical roadblocks
- First point of technical support for BioMedIT users.
- Monitoring and managing the BioMedIT ticketing system and report on issues raised by BioMedIT users.
- User support (such as identity validation, key signing, creating user accounts, etc.) .
- First-level debugging support for BioMedIT tools and services
- Assisting with onboarding of researchers and data providers to the BioMedIT Network
Contributing to the preparation of technical reports, documents, roadmaps updates, etc.
Operational support for BioMedIT Central services.
Liaising with external stakeholders on pilot and collaborative projects.
Coordinate BioMedIT back-office tasks.
Contributing to the delivery of personalized health services to research & clinical communities by channeling customer facing technical feedback on services to our development teams, nodes & working groups.
Producing training materials and tutorials for BioMedIT
Supporting other PHI activities.
The SIB offers a flexible, dynamic working environment, personal and professional development opportunities, and an excellent work-life balance in return for your work. The place of work is in Basel (in close proximity to the SBB station). More information about the PHI Group and its activities is available at:
You have 2-3 years of relevant work experience, and hold a qualification in a related field, such as information technology/ICT, computer science, management information systems or Bioinformatics (from a university of applied sciences, completed apprenticeship or equivalent).
You have ideally gained experience working in an organization’s IT department, or have demonstrable proficiency in related technical skills.
The following technical skills are desired:
- Working knowledge of Python & Shell scripting.
- Basic knowledge of Linux/Unix system usage.
- Familiarity with PGP & SSH key management
- Familiarity with research data management, cloud & HPC environments.
- Familiarity with ticketing systems (RT, Jira etc.)
- Familiarity with project management tools such as GitLab boards, Asana etc.
You are customer orientated and you enjoy helping end users with technical debugging via remote sessions and have demonstrable experience in problem solving using independent, critical and creative thinking.
Experience in technical writing will be an asset, and familiarity with project coordination or project management is desirable.
The working language is English, and strong writing and communication skills are expected; knowledge of a Swiss national language (French/German) would be a plus.
A collaborative spirit and a supportive, solution-oriented attitude is key to succeed in this role. Detail orientation and a systematic way of thinking are among your strengths. You are an excellent team player and you are flexible and adaptable, and cope well with new challenges and moving targets in an academic environment.
Start date is 01.08.22, though there is some flexibility. Please get in touch for more information.