University of Basel (Unibas)
80% - 100%
Type of contract
The University of Basel is the oldest university in Switzerland, and ranked among the best universities in the world due to its research achievements. It counts over 13'000 students and 4'300 researchers in 7 faculties active in domains from humanities and social sciences to natural sciences.
The University of Basel established the Center for Data Analytics (CeDA) to support the growing area of Data Science across all academic disciplines at the university. The goal of CeDA is the advancement of research and the development of transdisciplinary synergies at the University of Basel and its partners. Our activities in the natural sciences include, among others, work with experimental molecular biologists, AI-based image processing pipelines, novel manifold learning methods in neuroscience, and the interface of basic and translational biomedical research. The service and support activities of CeDA are provided in collaboration with the Center for Scientific Computing (sciCORE), the Digital Humanities Lab (DHLab), and the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (DMI).
The successful candidate will participate in basic research and provide consulting as the data science partner in various domains of natural sciences (life sciences, physics, chemistry). The primary mandate is to support research groups in need of data analysis by applying appropriate statistical, computational, and visualization methods, helping with experimental design, and making fundamental methodological advances. The position involves hands - on data analysis and contributions to postgraduate teaching and is hosted administratively at sciCORE.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A strong and diversified academic record (postdoctoral level) in data analysis, in particular with applications involving analysis of complex data sets (multi-scale data) using machine learning, deep learning, and other advanced statistics
- Experience in high-performance computing environments and knowledge of R and Python are required
- Previous work with imaging data or *omics data, and familiarity with at least one state of the art deep learning framework will be an asset
- Given the important service aspect of the position, we expect our candidate to be flexible, proactive, capable of following several projects in parallel and to have a curiosity for natural sciences in general
- Effective communication skills are required for the highly collaborative nature of this role.
We offer you:
At sciCORE, you will be part of a highly efficient and motivated team of diverse data analysts (from biostatistics to astrophysics), data managers, and scientific IT specialists. As a member of CeDA you will also join forces with support scientists at the DHLab and DMI. External collaborations and co-authorship in publications can be expected. We support our team members in their own training, networking and career development. You will have the opportunity to contribute in shaping the organization and development of this data analysis platform.
The University of Basel is an equal opportunity and family friendly employer committed to excellence through diversity. Physical presence at the University is expected, however we offer progressive policies related to office hours, home office, and scheduling.