The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is an internationally recognized non-profit organization, dedicated to biological and biomedical data science. Its data scientists are passionate about creating knowledge and solving complex questions in many fields, from biodiversity and evolution to medicine. They provide essential databases and software platforms as well as bioinformatics expertise and services to academic, clinical, and industry groups. SIB federates the Swiss bioinformatics community of some 800 scientists, encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing. The Institute contributes to keeping Switzerland at the forefront of innovation by fostering progress in biological research and enhancing health.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
80% - 100%
Type of contract
- Develop and implement procedures for effective data management/data integration for SIB (in close collaboration with SPHN/BioMedIT).
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and provide effective and hands-on support to researchers in handling their biomedical data, especially in the context of the SPHN Interoperability Strategy (link) and the RDF framework.
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage improvements.
- Continually develop strategies for (graph) data management and data integration for BioMedIT.
- Contribute to the development of digital databases and archives in the context of BioMedIT.
- Support the SIB’s Personalized Health Informatics Group’s activities, particularly on the development of data validation strategies, documentation and training.
- Develop and implement procedures for effective data management/data integration in the context of the PHRT project “Targeting the brown fat - Personalized strategies for treatment of metabolism” (link).
- Participate in PHRT meetings in the context of this project.
- Adapt the IT infrastructures of the Deplancke lab for handling these data with respect to the sensitivity of genomics human data.
- Coordinate the groups of the project to collaborate and exchange data using the same platform.
- Elaborate training/workshop sessions for these groups to use the platform.
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related field.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience in scientific data administration, management and analysis of biological or biomedical data is a minimum requirement for this role.
- Ability to decipher and organize large amounts of data.
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies.
- Familiarity with Semantic Web Technologies (RDF, SPARQL, SHACL, OWL, etc.)
- Experience working with metadata standards, controlled vocabularies and ontologies, such as SNOMED CT, LOINC, etc.
- Experience with data warehousing.
- Experience working with private and sensitive personal data.
- An analytical mindset with superb problem-solving skills and a service-oriented attitude.
- Proven ability to complete milestones and work toward multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Excellent multitasking skills and task management strategies.
- Demonstrably excellent collaboration skills.
- Excellent oral and written English. Additional national language (German / French) would be an asset.