The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is an internationally recognized non-profit organization, dedicated to biological and biomedical data science. Its data scientists are passionate about creating knowledge and solving complex questions in many fields, from biodiversity and evolution to medicine. They provide essential databases and software platforms as well as bioinformatics expertise and services to academic, clinical, and industry groups. SIB federates the Swiss bioinformatics community of some 800 scientists, encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing. The Institute contributes to keeping Switzerland at the forefront of innovation by fostering progress in biological research and enhancing health.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
To reinforce SIB’s Personalized Health Informatics Group (PHI) in Basel, we are seeking an SPHN Lead Enterprise Architect to design the overarching technical architecture, and harmonize the IT processes across the five Swiss University Hospitals in relation to SPHN and the BioMedIT project to further enable a nationwide network for data-driven research with health-related data.
SPHN Lead Enterprise Architect
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
80% - 100%
Type of contract
To leverage the potential of health-related data for better disease prevention, improved medical practice and innovative treatments, data needs to be interoperable and accessible to researchers in various disciplines. The Swiss Personalized Health Network initiative (SPHN), a government-funded research infrastructure initiative, was launched in 2017 with the mandate to create coordinated infrastructures to efficiently manage, exchange and process consented health data in accordance with legal and ethical requirements. The Personalized Health Informatics (PHI) Group of SIB coordinates and supports the development, implementation and validation of the network components in close collaboration with the SIB management team in Lausanne and the SPHN Management Office in Bern.
The Lead Enterprise Architect will be responsible for creating and keeping up to date the blueprint and roadmap for SPHN interoperability goals and the requirements that enable use and exchange of UH-centered health data for research. The right candidate should be able to use a combination of business operating models, interoperability requirements, research needs and technology trends, and convert them into technology options, concepts and recommendations.
Detailed job tasks are:
Contribute to the elaboration of SPHN infrastructure and data strategy, including:
- Providing a technical overall concept and architecture across the five University Hospitals;
- Aligning and integrating the interoperability requirements and infrastructure elements within the SPHN network (University Hospitals, DCC, BioMedIT, SPHN-affiliated partners, etc.);
- Lead the Hospital IT Working Group (HospIT WG).
Take responsibility for the SPHN IT architectural plan:
- Building a scalable and robust enterprise architecture for the federated SPHN environment;
- Specifying and documenting the architectural, technical and overarching operational picture for SPHN;
- Assess SPHN project grant applications regarding architectural and technical standards and make recommendations to the scientific evaluation body in charge of the evaluation of grant applications;
- Review and validate the results of implementations in the different environments.
Contribute to the overall PHI mandate:
- Contribute to process definition in SPHN;
- Align with national and international experts and stakeholders;
- Support the team in planning, implementation and reporting.
Bachelor's degree in related field. MS degree preferred.
Six (6) or more years of experience in architecting and developing IT solutions preferably in the Swiss Healthcare environment. In-depth experience of designing and implementing digital solutions, experience in enterprise architecture practice and methodologies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and awareness of industry trends and emerging technologies
- Deep knowledge of state-of-the-art security-by-design architectures from system to application level
- Familiarity with organizational policies, government regulations in the field of data security and data protection
- Preferably proven experience working with healthcare data
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with stakeholders at all levels and functions of partner institutions, including clinical, technical and leadership representatives.
- Proficient demonstrable project management skills
- Ability to influence and persuade peers and leadership
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Display intellectual curiosity and integrity
- Outstanding writing and communication skills are expected in English and good knowledge of at least one national language (German and/or French) is essential
In return for your work, the SIB offers a flexible, dynamic working environment, opportunities for personal and professional development, and a good work-life balance. This job involves frequent travel within Switzerland and occasional travels to international meetings and conferences. The working place is Basel (in close proximity to the SBB station).
How to apply