The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is an internationally recognized non-profit organization, dedicated to biological and biomedical data science. Its data scientists are passionate about creating knowledge and solving complex questions in many fields, from biodiversity and evolution to medicine. They provide essential databases and software platforms as well as bioinformatics expertise and services to academic, clinical, and industry groups. SIB federates the Swiss bioinformatics community of some 800 scientists, encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing. The Institute contributes to keeping Switzerland at the forefront of innovation by fostering progress in biological research and enhancing health.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
To reinforce SIB’s Personalized Health Informatics Group (PHI) in Basel, we are looking for an experienced Full Stack Software Developer to help build and improve the innovative tools and technologies at the core of the BioMedIT central services.
Full Stack Software Developer, BioMedIT Project
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
80% - 100%
Type of contract
To leverage the potential of health-related data for better disease prevention, improved medical practice and innovative treatments, data needs to be interoperable and accessible to researchers in various disciplines. The Swiss Personalized Health Network initiative (SPHN), a government-funded research infrastructure initiative, was launched in 2017 with the mandate to create coordinated infrastructures to efficiently manage, exchange and process consented health data in accordance with legal and ethical requirements.
As an integral part of SPHN, the BioMedIT Network has been set up to provide all authorized researchers in Switzerland with easy access to collaborative analysis of confidential data without compromising data privacy. The Personalized Health Informatics (PHI) Group of SIB supports the further development of the BioMedIT network in close collaboration with the BioMedIT nodes at SIS/ETHZ, sciCORE/Unibas and SENSA/SIB. In addition, the PHI group operates a central service layer and is responsible for the coordination as well as the management and direction of the implementation of the BioMedIT Network project.
- Working in a group of 3-5 agile developers distributed across the BioMedIT network to build and develop BioMedIT central services and tools;
- Providing DevOps support to central services such as the BioMedIT Portal, sett, Key Server, BioMedIT WebProtégé instance, Terminology Service;
- Maintaining technical user guides; contributing to technical documentation and development of tutorials and trainings;
- Working within a scrum framework in close collaboration with the development team, adhering to best scrum practices (e.g., planning, code review);
- Working closely with collaborators across SPHN/PHRT to understand requirements and expectations of end-users, researchers and healthcare providers, and develop central services to best fit their needs;
- Support of other PHI activities related to development.
In return for your work, the SIB offers a flexible, dynamic working environment, opportunities for personal and professional development, and a good work-life balance. The working place is Basel (in close proximity to the SBB station).
- At least a university degree in an information technology/computer science, software engineering or related discipline
- Fluency and development experience in at least two of following languages: Python, ReactJS & Typescript
- Experience working with at least one of following DevOps utilities: GitLab CI, Docker, Ansible, etc.
- Basic knowledge of Linux/Unix system usage
- A collaborative and transparent approach to your work, and ability to seek out opportunities to engage with a wide variety of stakeholders to deliver sustainable and scalable solutions
- Excellent written English, a further (national) language would be an asset
- Knowledge of Kubernetes
- Knowledge of Java
- Familiarity with PGP key management
- Experience in CI tools such as Python test(tox), pylint, eslint or jest
- Experience in working with Python web backend frameworks e.g., Django
- A deep understanding of how web applications work including secure session management, web authentication frameworks and best web development practices
How to apply